Street and Sidewalk Closure Permit

Share & Bookmark, Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

A Street and Sidewalk Closure Permit is necessary whenever work or an event requires the use of City road right-of-ways. The City must grant approval before any travel lane or sidewalk is closed for any reason. 

To obtain a permit, an application form must be filled out and submitted to the City Engineering department, a minimum of five (5) business days prior to the intended closure date. 

Street and Sidewalk Closure Permit

All emailed application packages should be submitted in .pdf format and emailed to

Forms may also be submitted in person to the City Service Center at 2074 South Service Road West. 

If you require more information on this process please email or contact us at 306-778-2748. 

For Community Events Only, The City of Swift Current will provide signage and barricades for events such as the soap box race, parades, small BBQ’s, etc. Organizations are required to pick-up and drop-off the required signs, barricades, cones, etc. which need to be signed out through the City’s Warehouse. The Organization is solely responsible for any damages and/or replacement costs for any sign, barricade or cone that is lost during an event.  

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: Does the City of Swift Current supply the necessary signage required for the Traffic Accommodation Plan?

A: No, the contractor is responsible for all required signage for the work zone. The only exception to this, is for community events by organizations that sign out barricades, signs and/or cones from the City's Warehouse (contact 306-778-2751 for the warehouse). See above. 

Does every sub-contractor working on a job need to submit a permit application?

A: No, the general or prime contractor may submit one application for a closure if multiple sub-contractors will be working on the job.

If I require an extension to my permit, how do I get one?

A: Please contact the Infrastructure and Operations department at the City ( or 306-778-2748) as soon as you know about needing an extension. The City will then review and issue the extension based on the original application. There is no need to fill out an additional application.