A Downtown Master Plan is a community-driven vision for the future of the downtown. Just like businesses, downtowns thrive when they evolve and adapt with the times.
The City of Swift Current’s Downtown Master Plan encompasses the core central business area. This effort has included two years of public consultation with numerous stakeholder groups and hundreds of participants at public face-to-face events as well as through online engagement tools. This report summarizes the process and strategies developed to revitalize the City’s downtown.
WHY DO WE NEED A DOWNTOWN MASTER PLAN?
A vibrant community downtown does not just happen. It’s the result of a rigorous planning process. The primary goal of a master plan is to bring life to the downtown. And accomplishing this, means:
- Having more gathering places
- Having a mix of residential and commercial developments
- Addressing parking and transportation issues
- Creating a good first impression
- Having an effective signage and wayfinding system
- Having a variety of destination shops, sidewalk cafés and intimate surroundings
- Investing in retail beautification
- Providing activities and entertainment
- Branding and giving identity to downtown district
- Convincing the private sector to invest
WHAT ARE THE MAIN COMPONENTS OF A DOWNTOWN MASTER PLAN?
The main components of a Downtown Master Plan are Public Realm, Transportation, Planning and Development, Economics, and Marketing and Branding.
To view our Downtown Master Plan in full, click here.