Development Permits are used to guide development within the City of Swift Current. These permits are required to ensure all new development conforms to the community objectives and policies set out in the Municipal Development Plan and Zoning Bylaw.
In Swift Current, you need a development permit for:
- All new commercial, industrial, and multi-family construction
- All additions and exterior alterations
- Any changes of use of a building or land
You are required to have a valid development permit before you can apply for a building permit to construct the building or structure, or to apply for a business licence.
Development Permits are valid for 6 months from the date of approval. Extensions may be approved by formal request by the applicant.
Development Permit Application:
- Obtain the services of a professional draftsman and/or designer for all construction projects.
- Complete the application form.
- Complete the letter of authorization if not the property owner.
- Submit application and any appropriate supporting materials to Planning and Growth Development, 177 1st Ave NE Swift Current, SK S9H 2B1 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants are encouraged to meet informally with staff before making application.
Development Review Process:
- The application will be reviewed by staff for completeness and conformance with the Municipal Development Plan, the Zoning Bylaw, and any other applicable policies and regulations.
- The development proposal will be circulated to other City departments, advisory bodies, provincial ministries, utility agencies, or any other organization that may be affected by the development for review and comment (2 weeks).
- A report is prepared containing the results of the review and providing recommendations, concerns, or conditions of approval to be applied for the Development Permit Approval.
- A letter is sent to the applicant containing items to be changed and any suggestions for improvement for a final review.
- The applicant submits a final set of plans for review.
- Staff may:
- Approve the development permit;
- Approve the development permit with terms and conditions of approval; or
- Refuse the development permit.
- A copy of the decision will be forwarded to the applicant by registered mail and will specify the reasons for the decision.
- The applicant may appeal conditions of an approval, or refusal of a Development Permit to the Development Appeals Board within thirty (30) days of receiving the notice.
Development Permit Forms: