Yard Waste Program
The Yard Waste Program operates at the landfill year-round and at a community site, while weather permits, for our residents only. (No Commercial Yard Waste permitted). The Yard Waste Program contributes to the Compost & Wood Chips available at the landfill.
The Yard Waste Program for 2022 will run from Tuesday April 19th to Tuesday November 8th - weather pending. Also remember, you can drop off yard waste at the landfill, year round.
Locations for FREE disposal
- NEW!! City of Swift Current Recycle Depot - 1101 North Railway St. W.
- Landfill open Mon - Sat 8am-5pm (last loads in by 4:45pm)
Hours of Operation at City of Swift Current Recycle Depot:
- Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays – 9:30 am to 5:30 pm
- Tuesdays and Thursdays extended hours - 9:30 am to 7:30 pm
- Saturdays and Sundays from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
- CLOSED on Statutory holidays
System of disposal:
- Access the Yard Waste area from the rear lane at Recycle Depot
- There are separated bays (one for wood, one for leafy waste), at ground level
- Option for those with mobility issues, to remain in vehicle while staff unloads bags
IMPORTANT: Arriving prepared and emptying contents
1. Separate wood/branches from organic yard waste BEFORE you leave your home. Come prepared to empty any bags you may have used to transport your yard waste.
Weeds, potting soil, plant matter, flowers, leaves & grass clippings, woodchips and fibre plant containers are allowed in yard waste bay.
NO PLASTIC BAGS, no biodegradable bags, no pots, nor non-compostable materials, and NO ANIMAL WASTE
ACCEPTABLE WOOD TRIMMINGS
Branches - trimmings of 8-inch diameter or less.
Please transport oversized branches to Landfill wood pile; please note that charges WILL apply.
Branches over 8-inch diameter are subject to landfill fees to cover costs associated with grinding the material.
No lumber, pallets, painted, stained or treated wood – these items go to the landfill.
2. Empty the contents of bags and containers into the bays and adhere to the instructions given by the attendant. Note: for those with mobility issues, attendant will unload your yard waste while you stay in your vehicle.
The City Landfill also has a FREE Yard Waste and Branch disposal area, open Monday to Saturday, from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, year-round. (last loads must be in by 4:45pm) Please comply with these specifications:
- Empty the contents of yard waste bags as directed by landfill attendant, for FREE disposal (for residents only) all year long.
- Bagged yard waste will be subject to applicable fees, so it pays to de-bag your yard waste!
- Dispose of branches under 8 inches in diameter for FREE (for residents only), as directed by landfill attendant.
- Oversized branches over 8 inches in diameter are subject to fees, from a minimum of $10/load and up.
- Fees applied by scale operator are final.
- Commercial source yard waste and tree branches are not included in this program.