We Currently have no openings for Career Firefighters.
Advertisements will be posted to this page when openings occur. Applications are by resume only.
- The Human Resources Department is responsible for recruiting suitable applicants for positions in the Swift Current Fire Department.
- Postings for new and/or vacant positions shall be posted and advertised in accordance with the Collective Agreement and the City of Swift Current Hiring Policy – Permanent Positions.
- All recruiting advertisements shall list the minimum qualifications for new hires which may include any or all of:
- Secondary High School Diploma or equivalent
- Firefighter Level I & II – NFPA 1001, IFSAC or ProBoard Certified
- Hazardous Materials Awareness and Operations – NFPA 472, IFSAC or ProBoard Certified
- Incident Command System - ICS100
- Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation “C” Certificate
- Primary Care Paramedic (PCP)
- Valid Saskatchewan Driver’s License – Class 5 or equivalent from other province or state
- Additional credit may be given to candidates who have any of the following qualifications:
- Post-Secondary studies – Diploma, Degree or Masters
- Aerial Apparatus Driver operator – NFPA 1002, IFSAC or ProBoard Certified
- Hazardous Materials Technician – NFPA 472, IFSAC or ProBoard Certified
- Fire Service Instructor Level II – NFPA 1041, IFSAC or ProBoard Certified
- Fire Inspector Level I or II – NFPA 1031, IFSAC or ProBoard Certified
- Incident Command – ICS200 or ICS300
- Fire Investigator – NFPA 1033, IFSAC or ProBoard Certified
- Apparatus Driver Operator – NFPA 1002, IFSAC or ProBoard Certified
- Level I Fire Service Instructor – NFPA 1041, IFSAC or ProBoard Certified or Fire Service Public Educator NFPA, 1035, IFSAC or ProBoard Certified
- CPR Instructor
- Drivers License - Class 3 with Air Brake endorsement
- Related training and/or experience
- In addition to providing the above, all candidates must successfully complete the following:
- Department of National Defense Firefighter Physical Fitness Test. (Exceptions may be approved by the Fire Chief to accept other programs of equal value such as CPAT)
- Criminal Record & Vulnerable Sectors Check
- Drivers Abstract with no major convictions.
- Applications for new positions shall be screened by the Fire Chief and Deputy Fire Chiefs to create a short list of applicants for interview.
- The shortlisted applicants will be interviewed by a selection committee made up of the Fire Chief as Chairman, Deputy Chief(s), Director of Human Resources or representative.
- Candidates will be ranked by their interview, resume and physical test results.
- The Human Resources Department will check references on the highest ranked applicant(s).
- The Fire Chief will make a written offer to the highest rated candidate(s) based on successful completion of reference checks and tests and request a written acceptance letter.
- Fire Department Medical – Must be completed within 60 days of hire, scheduled by Swift Current Fire Department with the department physician.