Do not use any appliance while you are touching metal or anything wet. Never plug in or unplug an electric cord while your hands are wet
Unplug appliances before cleaning them.
Do not yank the cord when unplugging appliances.
Train children not to put things into electrical outlets. Plastic outlet guards are a good idea, especially for homes with small children.
Repair any appliance that sparks, smokes, or shocks you.
Do not overload outlets and extension cords.
Keep appliances like radios, televisions, and hair dryers away from sinks and bathtubs.
Safe gas appliance use
Ensure the appliance is installed correctly with the correct clearances and soap test all connections before initial use.
Keep the area around your furnace and water heater clear of clutter.
Never store items near your heating appliances, especially combustible material.
If your pilot or gas burners produce a yellow flame it may require an adjustment by a qualified heating contractor.
Ensure your furnace and home gets sufficient air for proper operation.
Never run the furnace with the fan compartment cover removed. This can severely upset air circulation, cause improper combustion and may produce carbon monoxide (CO).
Know the danger signals of CO exposure: headachy feeling, tightness across the forehead and in the temples, watering and burning of the eyes, weariness, weakness, dizziness, vomiting and loss of muscular control.
If you experience any of these symptoms, go outside into the fresh air. Call 9-1-1.