City of Swift Current
"To be a growing, vital, thriving city, the choice location in which to live, work, invest, visit and play."
Revised: November 1998
Revised: December 2000
"To provide cost effective, high quality municipal services consistent with our vision."
- To work towards strengthening Swift Current’s role in southwest Saskatchewan
- To work towards excellence in customer service.
- To work towards economic development, future growth and prosperity.
- To work towards infrastructure sustainability (maintenance) and development, on a cost-effective basis to meet current and future needs.
- To work towards needs based, cost effective protective services.
- To maintain a strong financial position.
- To work towards environmental responsibility.
- Towards the maintenance and orderly development of cost effective cultural, leisure and recreational facilities and programs for the citizens.
1. Strategic Framework:
Effective Internal Management (Leadership):
Develop, implement and maintain an effective, integrated planning and management process for the City of Swift Current that meets the needs and expectations of the citizens.
- Will provide a common framework for managing operations.
- Creates a coordinated approach to community growth and promotion.
- Will improve communication with all stakeholders.
- Develop and communicate the shared mission, goals, values and strategy for the City at Council and Administrative levels.
- Utilize this framework as a basis for departmental roles, responsibilities, plans and resource allocation.
- Empower staff to implement the plan within a framework of accountability.
- Align policies, procedures and practices with the strategic plan.
- Establish an evaluation process.
- Strengthen the role of the Senior Management Team in assisting Council with their responsibilities.
- Ensure effective communication among all parties (council, public, staff).
- Cooperate in providing regional programs and services that benefit the community.
- Develop an integrated resource allocation process and support overall corporate priorities across each department based on a cost/benefit analysis.
- Review the strategic plan annually.
- Review Department Action Plans on a quarterly basis.
- To work and live by the values of the organization
- To attract, train and support employees to become an integrated resource for the implementation of overall corporate policies.
2. Community Growth & Promotion:
Promote the City as a prosperous business, cultural and recreational centre with cost-effective services and an infrastructure that makes it a desirable place to live, work, invest, visit and play.
- Economic development will provide resources for future growth and prosperity.
- A coordinated approach to economic development will allow available resources to be utilized more effectively.
- A strong, united voice will be more effective in dealing with senior levels of government.
- Continue the development of a citywide economic development strategy and involve all stakeholders in creating one integrated economic development plan for the City of Swift Current.
- Support existing businesses to ensure business retention and expansion.
- Promote entrepreneurial development.
- Develop appropriate promotional and support materials.
- Encourage the public to develop a sense of pride in the City as a choice spot to live, work, invest, visit and play.
- Encourage and facilitate co-operative community development and promotional efforts
- Include all partners (e.g. education, Chamber of Commerce, etc.) in the process.
- Promote tourism.
- Promote retirement development.
- Communicate current economic development approaches to the public.
- Promote family development incentive programs for residential rejuvenation
- Ensure adequate land is available for City expansion.
Continue to support ways to revitalize the downtown area
Continue to support the Centre for Entrepreneurial Development
Encourage growth and development in industry and business
Keep the public informed on all aspects of municipal government.
Increase the number of retirees choosing Swift Current
Demonstrate that the City is open to private investment and development.
Develop a tourism plan for the City.
3. Financial Well Being
Maintain a fiscally responsible city
Makes us attractive to investors and new residents - key factor in economic development
Better access to funds, borrowing
Creates a resource base for programs and future growth
Maximize investment returns
- Strive to maintain the lowest municipal taxes of any Saskatchewan city
- Strive to maintain competitive utility rates.
- Continue to develop a clear philosophy pertaining to cost recovery and fees for services.
- Maintain targeted debt to reserve ratios.
That the city's municipal tax rate is among the lowest of any Saskatchewan city.
To be financially responsible in the planning for the future of the city.
4. Programs, Services and Infrastructure:
Provide needs based, cost effective, quality programs, services, facilities and infrastructure for citizens.
- A major part of our role.
- Key to achieving the vision.
- Develop a process to determine facilities and programs based on needs, wants and willingness to pay.
- Maintain an inventory of present programs, services and costs.
- Determine (project) future requirements and funding requirements (alternative) consistent with economic development and financial thrusts.
- To provide competitive, profitable, reliable utilities
- To provide cost effective infrastructure that meets the community's long term needs
- To provide cost effective, co-ordinated protective services to meet the community needs.
- Maintain a parks system that enhances the quality of life of the community
- Provide cost-effective recreational facilities and programs to meet the needs of the community
- Support community based cultural initiatives
- To continue to develop an integrated information system to report timely and accurate information to other departments and council for the purpose of making sound decisions.
- To involve the surrounding municipalities in development and maintenance of regional services and facilities.
5. Customer Service:
Become highly effective in meeting the needs of internal and external customers.
- Strong direction from Council.
- Customers pay for the service.
- Better service can lead to more revenue.
- Develop service oriented policies, procedures and actions.
- Empower staff to provide excellent customer services.
- Provide training and skill development for staff.
- Develop recognition systems to target and reinforce customer service excellence.
- Develop measurement systems to evaluate and improve customer service.
- Practice continuous improvement.
- Communicate our intentions, activities and results to our customers.
- Continue to improve the procedure for utility payments.
- To provide excellence in customer service
- Explore opportunities for on-line customer services.